Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur Kanpur – 208016
Office: Faculty Building 314
Phone: +91-512 2597845 (Off) +91-512-2598806 (Res) +91-512-2597395 (Fax)
Dr. Sachchida Nand Tripathi is a Higher Administrative Grade (Senior) Professor of Civil Engineering at IIT Kanpur and joint faculty at the department of Sustainable Energy Department (SEE), IIT Kanpur. He is the recipient of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award and the J C Bose National Fellowship. Prof. Tripathi holds the Arjun Dev Joneja Chair at IIT Kanpur. He is an elected fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA), Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) and National Academy of Sciences of India (NASI) and recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus award of Banaras Hindu University. He was a Senior Fellow at NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre. He has made impactful contribution to address challenges of Air Pollution and Climate Change. Prof Tripathi has built ground-breaking innovative approaches for indigenously built low-cost sensor-based network technologies for nation-wide urban air quality monitoring and Real Time Source Apportionment (RTSA). His work on Taj Mahal discolouration led to policy interventions in Agra city. His pioneering work in aerosol-induced cloud invigoration effect (AIvE) and synergy of coupling between urban land use, land cover and Cloud Condensation Nuclei-induced AIvE has contributed significantly in future urban planning to avoid flash floods.
He is also the Coordinator of the National Knowledge Network, formed under the National Clean Air Program and an expert member of Steering Committee and Monitoring Committee, National Clean Air Program and member of Executive Council, Climate Change Program, Department of Science and Technology.
Prof. Tripathi’s new study discovers the genesis of night-time air pollution. It provides mechanistic understanding of nanoparticles growth preceding severe haze pollution in Delhi, which is due to biomass burning emissions.
- “IIT Kanpur to Monitor air pollution with Indigenous Technology & suggest mitigation strategies”, Dainik Jagran , June 05, 2023
- Prof. Tripathi featured on Al Jazeera’s report focusing the topic “Scientists decipher the cause of New Delhi’s haze, Mar 18, 2023
- Recent article “Rapid night-time nanoparticle growth in Delhi driven by biomass-burning emissions” published in Nature Geoscience, provides mechanistic understanding of nightly growth of particles less than 100 nanometers.
- Nature Geoscience editorial highlights, recent publication.
- Prof. S.N. Tripathi on “Post box no.111, subject “Jai Anusandhan”, covering the highlights of IINvenTiv 2022 held at IIT Delhi
- Prof. S.N.Tripathi featured in the “Idea exchange-Newsmakers in the Newsroom”, Indian Express, November 7, 2022.
- Stubble burning factor for 10-15 days, weather & geography also play a role: Sachchida Nand Tripathi, November 5, 2022, Indian Express
- Prof. Tripathi featured in 75 indigenous technologies showcased at “IInvenTiv” a mega FAIR organised by IITs from across the country , hosted at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi on 14th & 15th October 2022. He and his team showcased sensors for air quality monitoring
- Air_IITK Project:- Film on “Streaming Analytics over Temporal Variables from Air quality Monitoring (SATVAM)”
- “1 million green jobs in air quality domain alone, says IIT Professor”, India Clean Air Summit 2022 (ICAS 2022) organized by CSTEP, August 25,2022.
- IIT-Kanpur to establish network of air-quality sensors to measure pollution in rural India, July 10, 2022
OPED Publications Media Highlights
National Knowledge Network (NKN)
National Clean Air Program (NCAP)